Monday 31 January 2011

Scottish Fun

On Saturday I attended the Association of Mountaineering Instructors AGM at Glenmore Lodge. I joined an avalanche transceiver workshop to brush up on my avalanche rescue skills and play with a variety of transceivers and search methods - hopefully I'll never have to use these skills! It turned out to be a nice day in the mountains with a stunning cloud inversion.


Practicing probing for buried victims. Nice cloud inversion over Glenmore.



On Sunday I got out for a morning of skiing on Cairngorm before the winds got too strong and they shut the lifts down.


The forecast for the week ahead in Scotland is not so good - it looks like we have a week of storms coming our way. Wind on the Cairngorm plateau was forecast 75mph today with that increasing to 90mph on Wednesday! So today I avoided the worst of the wind with a stroll over Meall a' Bhuachaille - a nice hill overlooking Loch Morlich and Cairngorm. Tomorrow I might brave the weather and try and get a route climbed in the northern corries.

 View from Meall a' Bhuachaille to Loch Morlich and the Cairngorms

No comments: