Tuesday 23 March 2010

Alone on the wall

Last night I watched 24mins of the most gob smacking, awe inspiring climbing footage ever - Alex Honnold free soloing Moonlight Buttress in Zion and the NW Face of Half Dome, Yosemite. Now if this doesn't mean much to you let me elaborate. These routes are 400m and 700m respectively and on the UK grading scale would come in at E5/E6 and to climb them free solo means no rope, no partner, no protection no second chances. Now I have done a few free solos in my time but they have been short routes and well within my grade. To have the mental capacity to solo these hard and long routes is just mind blowing.

The camera work is stunning and watching Alex climb up these shear walls really gives me the hebhejebbies. One slip and he will have plenty of time to consider his landing! This guy is really pushing the limits of climbing and this feat is probably the most impressive feat of rock climbing since Lynn Hill free climbed The Nose of El Capitan.

Follow this link for a sneaky preview!